What is SolidWorks?
Solidworks is a 3D mechanical CAD (computer-aided design) program.
How do I obtain SolidWorks?
SolidWorks is provided for educational purposes only, and will not be provided for research. If you are enrolled in a class utilizing SolidWorks, you willl have access to the network installation described below. If you are enrolled in a class or Independent Study using SolidWorks but cannot access the network installation, plase contact the help desk.
Can I access SolidWorks from a Mac?
Yes, but first you will need to install Windows on your Mac. This can be done via Bootcamp, a Mac utility that configures your system for dual boot Mac - Windows, or a virtualization program like VMWare Fusion (available at the Duke computer store) that lets you run Windows like an application on the Mac OS. If you need help putting Windows on your Mac, you can visit the LINK in the Perkins library.
How do I install SolidWorks?
You will only have access to the network installation for an approved educational purpose. If your professor has approved its use, SolidWorks can be installed using the steps below.
- From the Start menu, left click “Computer,” and then “Map Network Drive” from the menu near the top of the window.
- Select a drive from the dropdown list and type the following path in the folder box: \\pratt-vm01.egr.duke.edu\SolidWorks
- Be sure to check the “connect using different credentials” checkbox while mapping the share, and then entering "win" followed by your NetID (win\NetID) and your NetID password.
- Once the network share is mapped and its respective window is open, double-click “StartSWInstall.” NOTE: Don’t worry if the installation status bar vanishes during the installation process. When the installation process is complete, SolidWorks will appear in your start menu under “All Programs.”
- Installation times vary with bandwidth. If you have a slow connection, we recommend installing this program while on the Engineering campus.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the SolidWorks installation process, please call the Pratt IT Help Desk at 660-5400.